Make a Difference in Your Community
Check out the latest Water and Wastewater Career Postings
The handling of water and wastewater is an increasingly important profession in today's environment-conscious society. Water and Wastewater Operators serve their community by providing a safe drinking water supply and reliable sanitation services. It is a stable career, with positions available in communities of all sizes.
If you are interested in this challenging career:
- AWWOA offers approved, mandatory Entry Level Training, as well as, a Level I Certification Preparation course.
- Alberta First Nations students who want to work within First Nation communities have the option of taking the Circuit Rider Training Program offered through the First Nations Technical Advisory Group (TSAG).
- NAIT offers a one year, full-time Water and Wastewater Technician Program that provides a high level of training for those who want to work in the fields of water distribution, water treatment, wastewater collection, and wastewater treatment.
- SAIT offers a one year, full-time Water and Wastewater Treatment Operations program that combines both water and wastewater treatment operations with power engineering with a focus on municipal and industrial water/wastewater systems.
Skills and Traits for Operators
- There are specific education, experience and training requirements depending on the various certification levels (I-IV). All levels require a high school or GED diploma, approved entry level training and approved municipal “hands-on” experience.
- It is useful to have some science and math knowledge with basic mechanical ability. Alberta utility operators must be: physical agile, able to lift 22 kg (50 lb), fluent in written and spoken English.
- Operators also should be reliable, detail-oriented, and safety-focused because people’s lives literally depend on them.
Provincial Certification of Operators
The more technically advanced water and wastewater systems usually require operators with higher levels of provincial certification. The Alberta Water and Wastewater Operator Certification Program is managed by Alberta Environment, a provincial government department. For certification inquiries, contact Alberta Environment directly.