This course is available in three formats: virtual classroom (3 days), online or home study.
*NEW* This course will be offered in the virtual classroom for the 2021-22 training season. Students will have the opportunity to learn online directly from an instructor. Each offering will be held over three days from 8:00 am until 12:30 pm (includes breaks). Attendance is required for each session to earn CEUs and will be monitored through our online software - GoToMeeting. If choosing this option registrants must have the following: strong, reliable internet connection, desktop or laptop device with a microphone AND web camera.
The course satisfies the Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) minimum training requirement for operators becoming certified for the first time. This training covers basic aspects of the industry - it has not been specifically developed to prepare an operator to write a certification exam. (Check the training listing for certification prep courses i.e. Level I Certification Prep).
NOTE: Applicants who wish to write the certification exam must qualify and MUST apply to Alberta Environment prior to the deadline during the application window for exams. To qualify, successful completion of this course must be achieved by the certification exam application (paper or online) and the course completion certificate must be uploaded with the application. Applicants will also need one year of recognized experience to qualify for the certification exam.
For additional certification information, please contact Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-427-7713 or 780-643-1992 or email: WaterandWastewaterOperatorCert@gov.ab.ca
Dates & Locations
- Session #2-VIRTUAL CLASSROOM
- Apr 19, 2022 8:00am - Apr 21, 2022 12:30pm
- Online - Virtual Classroom
Course Completion Exam:
At the end of the course a completion exam will be given. It consists of 50 questions and an overall minimum of 70% is needed to achieve a passing grade. If unsuccessful, one rewrite will be allowed.
Online, Home Study, In Class
• Legislation: Role of the operator, implications of non-compliance, applicable laws, and certification requirements
• Communication & Math skills: Standard operating procedures, calculations, conversions, daily records
• Water Treatment: Equipment maintenance, drinking water processes / production, contamination risks
• Wastewater Treatment: Principles, stabilization ponds, mechanical plants, equipment maintenance
• Safety & Security: Emergency planning, hazards, safety procedures, protective equipment
• Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection: Systems, components, maintenance, blueprint reading
Virtual Classroom: Course materials will be mailed out prior to the first date of training. Please ensure your address information is correct. The links to join each online session will be emailed out prior to class.
Home study: Materials will be mailed upon registration. Confirmation of this will be emailed.
Online: Course materials are available immediately upon registration through AWWOA online profile. Further instructions and information about the course are emailed after registration.
$460.00 Must have current AWWOA Membership