This course is available in two formats: home study and online.
The course will provide new utility employees, and those presently employed as operators, with a comprehensive operational aid for Class I Water Distribution municipal systems. It will focus on operator competencies required to write the Level I Water Distribution Certification Exam and includes content and questions that operators may find on the provincial exam.
NOTE: To qualify for provincial certification, students must complete a Mandatory Entry Level Training Course (ELT). Students are encouraged to take the Entry Level Training Course (ELT) provided by AWWOA in conjunction with this course (to meet certification requirements). ELT is a provincial mandated training course needed to obtaining certification. ELT can be completed in-class, online or via homestudy. Please note, if you completed the full Level I certification Prep Course (5 CEUs), you can not use the CEU's earned for this course towards certification renewals.
The CEUs from this course can be used toward the following discipline(s) for certification renewal:
• Water distribution
For additional certification information, please contact Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-427-7713 or 780-405-0437 or email: WaterandWastewaterOperatorCert@gov.ab.ca
Course Completion Exam:
At the end of the course (in any format) a completion exam will be given. It consists of 50 questions. An overall minimum of 70% is needed to achieve a passing grade. If unsuccessful, one rewrite will be allowed.
Online, Home Study,
• Introduction to operator certification - requirements and responsibilities
• Safety - construction, reservoir/pump station, electrical, infections & diseases, hazardous gases, chemical handling and confined space
• Basic Technical Skills - basic mathematical calculations and functions (decimals, fractions, percentage), ratio & proportion, squares and cubes, areas/surfaces/volumes, units of measure and basic hydraulics and electricity
• Support Systems - Electricial circuits, devices and motors, pumps, drives, compressors, lubrication, valves and control/instrumentation
• Administration - planning and organization, maintenance, plans, records, personnell, public relations and financial management
• Water Distribution - water mains, pipe installation, valves and hydrants, storage reservoirs, operation and maintenance, and distribution pumphouses
Home study: Materials will be mailed upon registration. Confirmation of this will be emailed.
Online: Course materials are available immediately upon registration through AWWOA online profile. Further instructions and information about the course are emailed after registration.
$300.00 Must have current AWWOA Membership